Child Blind Safety
Do you have small children, and are you concerned as to what options you have for certain types of blinds to use in your home? There really is no need to be; we can supply you with many different blind safety options to suit your personal requirements, helping you to rest assured that your children are safe.
As of February 2014, as a standard, all types of blinds now have to meet certain laws and regulations in regards to child safety, regardless of whether a child is present or not. It is now illegal to supply or professionally install blinds that do not comply with certain child safety laws.
There are three options in which you can choose to follow to make sure your blinds are complying with child blind safety laws:
Safe by Design:
Safe by design blinds are cordless, or come with concealed or tensioned cords. These products are typically pushed or pulled into position, in replacement of the need and use of cords or chains. Safe by design blinds are considered to be the safest option in regards to child safety. We have safe by design options for roller, vertical, pleated and venetian blinds:
- We can supply you with motorised roller blinds, either with a wand control, or a wireless remote control. The blinds are rechargeable, and one wireless remote control can control up to three blinds.
Some wooden venetian blinds are also available as a motorised option.
- Blinds with a spring action allow you to open and close the blind without the use of cords or chains. Simply push up to open, and pull down to close. We have many different options available for these, including roller blinds, venetian and pleated blinds.
Vertical Blind Wand:
- Vertical blinds can now be operated with the use of a wand, of which has two uses; to pull the blind open and push it to a close; and adjust how much light you would like through the slats.
- INTU® blinds fit perfectly into the frame of your window, and require no cords or chains. They can be controlled by tilting or raising the blind by hand. These are available to have as roller, venetian and pleated blinds.
- Slide wands are an option for some of the venetian blinds we supply. It uses a push up and pull down feature to operate the blind, allowing no cords or chains to have to be in use. The wand can also be used to tilt the blind in certain light conditions.
Built-in Safety Features:
All cord or chain operated blinds now come with standard built-in safety features in order to meet the regulations. So you can be assured that all blinds you purchase from us will provide basic safety features already within, such as chain-break connectors, cord condensers and cord breakaway systems. These systems are available on blinds that require a chain or cord operation such as roller, roman, venetian and some vertical blinds.
Separate Safety Features:
If you feel that cordless options or those with built-in safety devices are unsuitable for your requirements, then the only alternative is to use a blind with a separate safety device such as a tensioning system or an accumulation device like a cleat. It is vital to make sure the device is securely fitted and always used in order to meet regulations.
If you have a blind that was made before the laws came into practice, or require extra safety, we can supply you with these devices to make your existing blind safe.
If you require any more information, or simply just want to explore through our product types and materials, then feel free to pop over to our showroom, and one of our team will be happy to assist you!
The video below has been provided by the British Blind and Shutter Association (BBSA). Please watch this video to gain a more detailed, broader approach to the options available. Please note: we do not provide all solutions mentioned in the video.